South Florida







South Florida, is a beautiful area—we lived in South Miami for 17 years and loved to call it home. On many free days in the off-season, I would rise early to go to Matheson Hammock Park to make images of this iconic landscape. Starbucks was on the way, blueberry scone and a grande coffee with cream. Mmmm, I can smell the coffee now.  The park was only three miles from the house making it easy to travel to. The manmade atoll pool is naturally refreshed by the incoming tide. 

The adventure of this day was how to capture the water beauty with special light.  The alarm always goes off early, if you covet “The landscape image” as the best light is during the golden hour, early in the a.m. I can’t tell you the countless times that I would drive out to the Hammock early, being the only one there, sometimes beating the security guards to unlock the gates.  I generally would first work the pool, which would provide me countless images that are fantastic in their own light.  Then as the sun was starting to rise I would move over to the bayside to see what would await me.

On this morning as the sun started to rise, the cloud formation started to dance in front of me.  My mind begins to race.  Can you capture the image before it is gone!  It is only for a moment that you will see the clouds, this smooth as glass water along with these spectacular colors coming together. The Lord surely has provided for you on this day. When I review these images still today, I can smell the salt air, hear the seagull, feel the gentle tropical trade winds in my hair and feel the warmth of the rising sun on my face.  Oh, did I mention the swarming mosquitoes biting!

I watched the dawn slowly change colors and reveal the real “Old Florida” right there before me while illuminating the “New Florida” in the Miami Beach Skyline.

The light of the day was fantastic! Florida does have some of the most incredible water views.  Kayak anyone?


When everything comes together you have rare Moments like this that Matter!  I hope you enjoy the Moment, as “Moment do Matter”

Visit the website, www.ibishawkimages.com

Comments

Popular Posts