Scott County Lake - Fall







The Scott County Lake is such an epic place in Kansas—one of the finalists for eighth Wonders of Kansas. kdwp.state.ks.us/State-Parks/Locations/Scott   My challenge was set this trip a few years back. I had to capture this Kansas beauty as I was only in town for a few days to see my mother who was not doing well with her ALS.  I set the alarm at 4:30 a.m. and drove out to the lake and started making images.  It was a moment I’ll never forget as I moved from the south end of the lake to the north capturing images.  The fall colors were spectacular.

I watched the dawn slowly change colors and reveal the oasis right there in front of me. The crisp morning air was refreshing and the sound of the meadowlark echoing in the canyon will remain in my minds eye. So many memories were flooding my mind as I worked the shore and the hills.  I grew up in Scott County and wanted to capture the essence of the oasis on the prairie. My challenge was to capture the whole mood and feeling of this moment with depth, grandeur and scale.

As I approached the north end of the Lake, and I hiked to the top of the bluff I realized that I only had a few valuable frames left on my digital card.  Oh my, what do I do now!  Every press of the shutter was critical, as with only 5 clicks remaining they had to count.

Composition was so critical as I wanted the rocks in the foreground to bring the viewer into the grandeur of the scene.
The light of the day was fantastic; the only thing missing was clouds in the sky.  But Kansas can have some of the most incredible views, where you can see forever! 

When everything comes together you have rare Moments like this that Matter!  I hope you enjoy the Moment, as Moment do Matter!

Enjoy !

Visit the website, www.ibishawkimages.com

Comments

Popular Posts